Thursday 27 May 2010

Day three






I have bought a large galvinised steel bath, did people really use these? I spend the morning walking back and forth dipping my bucket into the river and filling the bath, the rythmn is satifying. I photograph my feet moving in the bath, the light makes them disappear. I tie a water carrier to the beam and drip water through the cracks in the floor boards, river to river. I think about Amelia Dyer and decide to go to the library, she was executed in the 1890's for killing children and placing them in the river up the road in Caversham. I have been thinking a great deal about drowning and immersion in water, I feel I need to name these children to honour them in some way. I spend the afternoon in the library researching. Tomorrow I will go to Clappers footpath to the place where several of the children were found.

No comments: