Tuesday 25 May 2010

Early days of the residency



The residency has started, we have taken time to feel our way into the space, we have our different ways of doing this. I am keen to work with Hilary, as she has a great deal of experience in somatic practice, I also want to play and let ideas evolve, time - lots of - time - allowing things to perculate.

We move objects in, clearing, placing, breathing in the space. I spend time inhabiting the space, looking into cracks in the floor boards, beneath the surface. Day one felt like I was nesting, I collected water in a bucket from the Kennet and washed the floor, it felt like a ritual, some sort of cleansing process, or perhaps just a way to get going. Hilary photographed me, and it reminded me of other work we have shared in the past; we don't have to speak too much, I trust her judgement I know she will document the work as if she knows it. I am so pleased to be working with and alongside Hilary. We talked about how artists influence each other, and agreed we didn't mind if the work merged together without any ownership.

Can I let myself live with not knowing and just wait for the work to unfold??

We sit and watch the water, we listen externally and internally, the water is constant, like bubbling olive oil beneath us. The gallery, once an old turbine space reaches out onto the Kennet, we are above it, there is a life around us, a Heron watching.

We move letting go of parts of the body, getting to know the body, the water beneath, the ground beneath, I claim the space as my feet expand

No comments: